Brown paper packages tied up with string: these are a few of my favorite things, and I’m sure they’re on your list too. There’s something so special about this song from the Sound of Music and a package wrapped in brown paper and tied with a simple string. It’s like a gift from a secret friend, or a treasure chest waiting to be opened.
Today I’m sharing a few of my favourite things which are wrapping Christmas gifts with craft paper. It’s that time of year when Christmas music is playing in the background and the Christmas tree is lit. It’s also that time of year when you are looking to wrap that great gift you got Aunt Tilly. Using brown kraft paper is the perfect way to save a lot of time, and money!
Brown Paper Packages Tied Up with String: A Symbol of Thoughtfulness, Love, and Friendship
If you’re looking for a fun idea to add some old-world charm and nostalgia to your upcoming gift-giving occasion, then you need to check out the trend of vintage-style wrapping.
Brown paper is often used in these designs, as it incorporates a warm homey feel that traditional plastic-wrapped gifts just can’t achieve.
Thoughtfulness of the gesture
Brown paper packages tied up with string are a symbol of thoughtfulness, love, and friendship because they represent the time and effort that the giver put into choosing and wrapping the gift. The simple brown paper and string packaging is a reminder that the gift is not about the material possessions, but rather about the thoughtfulness of the gesture.
When we receive a brown paper package, we know that the giver put time and care into wrapping it. They didn’t just grab a pre-made gift bag or box. They chose the brown paper and string specifically because they wanted to make the gift special.
The simplicity of brown paper packaging also conveys a sense of intimacy and authenticity. It shows that the giver is not trying to impress us with their wealth or extravagance. Instead, they are giving us a gift from the heart.
The History of Brown Paper Packaging
Brown Paper Packaging in the Early Days
In 1879, a German named Carl F. Dahl invented the kraft process (so-called because of its superior strength) which is used to make paper from recycled materials like wood chip napkins and grocery bags; this was before we even knew what recycling meant!
Personally, I love this style of wrapping with brown paper! Besides having a nostalgic feel, it is also relatively inexpensive.
The Benefits of Brown Paper Packaging
- Good for the Environment
- Aesthetically Pleasing
- Cost Benefits (you can even use the brown paper as a table runner)
Making Tags with Brown Paper and Ribbon
The easiest way to start crafting with brown paper and velvet ribbon is by making tags. You can find pre-cut brown paper tags at most craft stores or make them yourself by cutting up large sheets of brown paper into the shapes you want.
- Once you have your tags, personalize them with a few drops of watercolor paint or even just markers and crayons.
- Next, punch a hole in the top corner and thread through some velvet ribbon for a luxurious finish.
- Another idea is to add a small sprig of holly or mistletoe for a timeless look that will never go out of style.
Creative Ways to Wrap Brown Paper Packages
Here are 7 ways to get creative with wrapping Christmas presents with brown paper and string:
1. Use stamps and stickers. You can find a variety of Christmas-themed stamps and stickers at most craft stores. Use them to decorate your brown paper packages in a fun and festive way.
2. Use natural materials. Pine needles, berries, and other natural materials can add a touch of rustic charm to your brown paper packages. Simply tie them around the package with string or tuck them into the corners.
3. Use origami techniques. Origami is the Japanese art of paper folding. There are many different origami patterns that you can use to create unique and festive gift wrapping. For example, you could fold a paper Christmas tree or a paper snowflake.
4. Create a gift tag. Instead of using a store-bought gift tag, make your own out of brown paper. You can cut the paper into any shape you like, and then write the recipient’s name and a personal message on it.
5. Use different colors of string. You don’t have to limit yourself to traditional red and green string. Try using other colors, such as gold, silver, or blue, to create a more unique look.
6. Wrap the gift in a different way. Instead of wrapping the gift in a traditional way, try wrapping it in a more creative way, such as in a spiral or a star shape.
7. Add a personal touch. Write a note or draw a picture on the brown paper package to make it extra special.
I used three different types of ribbon and texture on my package. One very narrow ribbon and two strips of ribbon that are wider to create a layered and visually appealing look.
- To make it look even more festive, try adding embellishments such as tiny pinecones or sprigs of rosemary leaves onto each corner.
- You can also go minimalistic by sticking with just one color scheme; white or cream ink on kraft will look beautiful when combined with velvet ribbon in any color!
Finally, bows are a great way to add extra charm to any present! To make them easy yet eye-catching, use pre-cut velvet ribbons in different widths (1/4 inch or 3/8 inch works best).
Cut two pieces in one width for the loops and one piece in another width for the knot — about 4 inches long should be enough for both — then tie all three pieces together at the base before fluffing out the loops gently into place.
- For an added touch, glue tiny bells or artificial flowers onto each side of the bow’s knot!
Shop & Source
Make it Modern
If you want to give your Christmas gift a modern twist, try wrapping it in brown paper and adding metallic accents like gold or silver velvet ribbon. Instead of writing names on the package, add a gift tag decorated with glitter or sequins—you could even use tiny bells to make them jingle when they’re opened!
The possibilities are endless when it comes to making modern gifts stand out from the crowd!
Brown paper and velvet ribbons are the perfect materials if you want your presents to stand out this holiday season!
With these simple steps, you can create stunning tags, wrapping alternatives, and bows that will surely impress all your friends and family members!
Other posts you may enjoy:
- How to Layer Your Christmas Tree Decorations
- These Cute Reindeer Bottle Decorations
- Easy Advent Wreath DIY for Christmas
In today’s world, we’re bombarded with plastic packaging and flashy advertisements. But there’s something refreshing about the simplicity of plain brown paper. It’s a reminder that the best things in life often come in the simplest packages.
So next time you’re wrapping a gift, or receiving a package in the mail, take a moment to appreciate the brown paper package. It’s more than just a way to wrap something up. It’s a symbol of thoughtfulness, love, and friendship. It may just be your favorite Christmas ever!
Behind the Adventures
Hi, I’m Susan: A little bit about me
Hello there, If you’re new here, I’m delighted to meet you! If you’ve been around for a while, thank you! I love seeing you here.
Hen and Horse Design is my canvas of creativity. My journey from ballet to design has been a graceful evolution.
Home, Garden, and Neverland: From pirouettes on stage to crafting designs with the same finesse, I bring a touch of Tinkerbell’s sparkle to everything I create.
Join me as I pirouette through the world of home décor, cooking, and gardening,
I’m excited to share my designs with you and help you create a home that you love.