Are you looking for a simple and festive way to decorate your home for the holidays? If so, you’ll love this easy pinecone wreath DIY!
Pinecones are a beautiful and natural way to decorate your home for the holidays. They’re also relatively easy to find, so you can make a pinecone wreath without spending a lot of money.
In this blog post, I’ll show you how to make an easy pinecone wreath that’s perfect for any occasion. I’ll also share some tips for choosing the right pinecones and attaching them to the wreath form.
So what are you waiting for? Get started on your own pinecone wreath today!
One of the most popular ways to decorate this time of year is with pinecones!
They are so versatile when adding this pretty element to your holiday decor. Pinecones may be used in so many ways.
This wreath is made with natural pinecones, so it’s perfect for a rustic or natural-inspired look. It’s also very easy to make, so even beginners can get in on the fun.
How do you make a simple pine cone wreath?
I started out with this 13″ branch grapevine wreath from Hobby Lobby. It cost only $10.99.
What do I need to make a pinecone wreath?
- A wire wreath form or grapevine wreath
- Hot glue gun and glue sticks
- Optional: Ribbon or string for hanging
- Gather your materials. You will need a wire wreath form or grapevine wreath, pinecones, a hot glue gun and glue sticks, and optionally, ribbon or string for hanging.
- Prepare the pinecones. If your pinecones are closed, you can soak them in hot water for a few minutes to open them up. You can also paint or dye your pinecones if you want to change their color.
- Attach the pinecones to the wreath form of your choice. Start by attaching the largest pinecones to the outside of the wreath form. Then, fill in the middle with smaller pinecones. You can use hot glue to attach the pinecones, or you can use wire if you want a more secure attachment.
- Add a ribbon or string for hanging. If you want to hang your wreath, you can attach a ribbon or string to the back of the wreath form.
- Use a variety of pinecones to create a more interesting wreath.
- If you want a fuller wreath, you can overlap the pinecones.
- To make a more secure attachment, you can wire the pinecones to the wreath form.
- You can add other embellishments to your wreath, such as berries, leaves, or flowers.
Next, I used a combination of pinecones I foraged recently along with several bags of pinecones I purchased like these.
Next is where it gets fun. Did I mention this is super easy? The only thing you need to contemplate is how you are going to design your wreath or what ribbon you are going to pick. The rest, the glue gun will take care of.
I’ve opted for my Pinecone Wreath DIY to have the pinecones placed on one side of the grapevine wreath. The options are limitless. You can go all the way around the wreath. Other options are to place the pinecones across just the top, or bottom.
I had these little acorns in my craft box, so I’ve added them as well.
Unique Ways to decorate a pinecone wreath
There are many unique ways to decorate a pine cone wreath. Here are a few ideas:
- Paint or dye the pine cones in different colors. This is a great way to add a pop of color to your wreath. You can use acrylic paints, spray paint, or even food coloring to dye your pine cones.
- Add other natural elements to your wreath. This could include things like leaves, berries, flowers, or even small pieces of wood. This will help to create a more rustic look for your wreath.
- Use embellishments like ribbons, bows, or beads. This is a great way to add some personality to your wreath. You can choose embellishments that match your décor or that simply add a touch of whimsy.
- Get creative with your placement. You don’t have to hang your pine cone wreath on a door or wall. You could also place it on a table, mantel, or even in a vase.
No matter how you choose to decorate your pine cone wreath, it’s sure to be a unique and beautiful addition to your home.
Here are some additional ideas:
- Create a theme for your wreath. This could be a holiday theme, a seasonal theme, or even a color theme.
- Add a personal touch. You could write a message on your wreath, or you could add something that is special to you.
I love adding them to a pretty bowl and displaying them simply!
If you have these, you can add them to your countertop!
Another way you can use pinecones is to string them on a ribbon and add a garland to your mantle. How about making a tree with them?
What is the best glue for pinecones?
The best glue to use for a pinecone wreath is a hot glue gun. Hot glue is quick-drying and strong, making it perfect for attaching pinecones to a wreath form. It is also relatively inexpensive and easy to find.
If you are using a wire wreath form, you may want to use a clear, non-toxic glue like E6000. This glue will not damage the wire and will hold the pinecones in place securely.
If you are using a foam wreath form, you can use hot glue or craft glue like Mod Podge. Mod Podge is a water-based glue that dries clear, making it a good option if you want to avoid any visible glue lines.
No matter which glue you choose, be sure to apply it sparingly. Too much glue can make your wreath look messy and uneven.
Here are some additional tips for gluing pinecones to a wreath form:
- Use a low setting on your hot glue gun to avoid melting the pinecones.
- Start by gluing the pinecones in the center of the wreath and work your way out.
- Press the pinecones firmly in place to ensure that they are secure.
- Let the glue dry completely before hanging your wreath.
With a little care and attention, you can create a beautiful and lasting pinecone wreath using the best glue for the job.
Ribbons or Bows Add Texture to Your Pinecone Wreath
When picking out a bow, there isn’t a wrong color. You can select a bow with any color or design! The bow can always be changed out as well for any season, holiday, or occasion. I could see adding a colorful orange bow for an autumn wreath.
Earlier I asked if you knew what I was going to do with my Pinecone Wreath.? If you are anything like me, receiving a handmade craft or gift always means so much! When someone takes the time to create something it is always a special gift.
Here is my plan! I’m going to be wrapping this wreath up and giving it away as a hostess gift when I attend Thanksgiving Dinner or for a Christmas cocktail party or get-together!
We often think hostess gifts have to be a bottle of wine or a box of candy, or possibly flowers.
How about bringing your hostess a gift they can use over and over? This is a great way to get your hostess in the holiday spirit as well. As soon as it is received, it can be hung on a door, or a window immediately without much work at all for them.
If you need help getting ready for the holidays, read this!
Have you made this before?