Clean floor tile grout with steam in just 5 easy steps! Remove dirt, grime, and mold with this effective method.
I know what you’re thinking. Cleaning your tile flooring and grout isn’t high on your list. I mean who wants to spend time scrubbing your entire floor and ceramic tile? Especially in the summer.
I know. I get it. It’s not high on my list either. I’d much rather be having fun outside this time of year at Saratoga Race Track, or visiting our barn and feeding the horses. It’s one of those jobs that has to be done, however.
But then I thought there has to be a better way. Cleaning tile floors doesn’t have to be hard work. How can you get in, and out, of cleaning your grout quickly, and without a lot of scrubbing?
The solution is simple.
So what’s the solution?
Fortunately, there’s a simple solution for cleaning dirty grout. The answer? That’s where hot steam comes in. The best way to clean tile grout is by using a hot steam method. The dirt and grim literally steam away.
How I used to clean my grout
In the past, I thought I had the best way to remove stubborn stains by using a small wire brush and scrubbing and scrubbing. While that brass brush worked great it wasn’t the easiest method and took some elbow grease.
The results were good. The time I spent not so much.
I recently discovered steam cleaning grout is by far the best way.
But wait there’s more. At the risk of sounding like an infomercial, it gets better. (I’m hearing myself and laughing over here. Growing up I used to pretend I was on a commercial when washing the dishes. Remember the Palmolive commercials with Madge, the manicurist? My sister and I would try and imitate her) haha
The more part. There are no harsh detergents or harsh chemicals you need to use on your floor tiles.
I’m sure you’re with me on this one, but not having to smell chlorine bleach is huge for me.
It all boils down to this. Not only is the scent really strong, but bleach is also harsh and can damage grout. Over time, products that contain bleach will erode the grout and leave a film behind.
Here are a few reasons why you should consider a steam cleaner
- Kills germs and bacteria. Steam cleaning uses hot water vapor to kill 99.9% of germs and bacteria, making it a great way to sanitize your home. This is especially important in areas where there are young children or people with compromised immune systems.
- Removes tough stains and dirt. The high heat of steam can loosen and remove even the toughest stains and dirt, making it a great way to clean.
- Is eco-friendly. Steam cleaning uses only water, so it is a great way to clean your home without using harsh chemicals. This is especially important if you have allergies or asthma.
Additional benefits to using steam cleaning
- It is a quick and easy way to clean.
- It leaves your home feeling fresh and clean.
- It can help to improve air quality.
- It is a versatile tool that can be used to clean a variety of surfaces.
Will a steam cleaner clean floor tile grout?
Here’s the big secret. Yes. All grout cleaning takes is the right tool to rid your floor of surface dirt. The trick is to add high temperatures with blasts of steam to return your clean tiles and grout to their original color.
Is steam good for cleaning grout?
Here’s how it works. Steam cleaning grout is a great idea to remove dirt, grime, and mold from grout lines. The high heat of steam loosens and removes dirt and debris, while the scrubbing action of the steam cleaner’s brush helps to lift it away.
For best results, you can use your steam nozzle on your shower tiles, kitchen floor, and bathroom tiles.
What you’ll need
- A steam cleaner with a steam nozzle or
- A grout brush
- A microfiber cloth
- Distilled water (optional)
Start with a small area and clean water (distilled water is best). Remove any excess water with a microfiber cloth.
5 Easy steps for how to clean floor tile grout with steam
- Fill the steam cleaner with distilled water. This will help to prevent mineral deposits from building up on the grout.
- Attach the grout brush to the steam cleaner. This will help you to scrub the grout lines more effectively.
- Start steaming the grout lines, working in small sections. Be sure to keep the steam cleaner moving so that the grout doesn’t dry out.
- Use the grout brush to scrub the grout lines as you steam. This will help to loosen any dirt or grime that is stuck in the grout.
- Wipe away any excess dirt with a microfiber cloth. This will help to prevent the dirt from drying on the grout and making it harder to remove.
Here are 7 additional tips for cleaning floor tile grout with steam:
- Read the instructions carefully. This will help you understand how to use the steam cleaner safely and effectively. If the grout is heavily soiled, you may need to repeat the process several times.
- Prepare the area. Sweep or vacuum the floor to remove any loose dirt or debris.
- Be sure to rinse the grout brush with clean water after each use.
- If you are using a steam cleaner with a high-pressure steam output, be careful not to damage the grout.
- Let the grout dry. Allow the grout to dry completely before walking on it.
- Repeat as needed. If the grout is still dirty, you may need to repeat the process.
- Use caution when opening the cleaner as steam may escape causing a burn. (it is best to unplug and wait until the unit cools off before refilling.)
Here are some additional tips:
- If the grout is very dirty, you may need to let the steam cleaner sit on the grout lines for a few minutes before scrubbing.
- If the grout is stained, you may need to use a grout cleaner in addition to the steam cleaner.
- If you have any questions or concerns, consult the Bissell Steam Shot user manual.
Other uses for a steam cleaner
- Cleaning appliances. Steam cleaners can be used to clean a variety of appliances, including ovens, microwaves, and dishwashers. The steam can help to remove grease, grime, and food particles that can be difficult to reach with traditional cleaning methods.
- Cleaning upholstery. Steam cleaners can be used to clean upholstery, such as sofas, chairs, and car seats. The steam can help to remove dirt, stains, and pet hair. Be sure to test the steam cleaner on an inconspicuous area first to make sure it does not damage the upholstery.
- Cleaning windows and mirrors. Steam cleaners are a great way to clean windows and mirrors, leaving them streak-free. Simply attach the window nozzle to the steam cleaner and apply steam to the windows or mirrors. Be sure to wipe them down with a damp cloth after steam cleaning to remove any remaining dirt or debris.
- Cleaning carpets. Steam cleaners can be used to clean stubborn stains in carpets, but it is important to use the correct settings and attachments. The steam can help to remove dirt, stains, and pet hair from carpets, but it is important to not use too much steam, as this can damage the carpet fibers.
- Sanitizing surfaces. Steam cleaners can be used to sanitize surfaces, such as countertops, sinks, and toilets. The high pressure of steam can kill 99.9% of germs and bacteria, making it a great way to keep your home clean and healthy.
Where to purchase a good steam cleaner
- Amazon has a large selection of steam cleaners ranging in price
- Home Depot is another great choice. You can also find other cleaning products easily to shorten your shopping time.
- Lowe’s is a great choice. Lowe’s has an excellent return policy as well. Most items may be returned up to 90 days after purchase.
Other posts you’ll enjoy
- Tips for How to Clean Sheer Curtains Easily at Home
- Simple Cleaning Tips You Can Do in 20 Minutes
- Daily Cleaning Routine, Tips, and My Favorite Cleaners!
I hope these tips help you get the most out of your Bissell Steam Shot grout cleaner! Using steam is a better choice than scrubbing in my book.
Steam cleaning is a quick and easy way to clean floor tile grout and remove dirt, grime, and mold. By following these simple steps, you can have your grout looking like new in no time!