Welcome to my Christmas Home Tour 2022! Today, I’m sharing my holiday home tour of my living room and dining area. I decorated it in a simple green and cream color scheme with velvet and gold accents.
If you are anything like me you almost start thinking about next year and Christmas decorating once January rolls around. I’m joking. It’s not that early. Although the way time flies by these days it does seem to be the timeline around here.
This year, I wanted to create a peaceful and elegant holiday atmosphere in our family room. I chose natural materials and classic colors. What I find helpful is designating a theme or color palette that you would like to use before you begin your decorating. Gather items you already own from your basement bins, then see what you may need at Hobby Lobby.
Remember, beautiful homes don’t have to cost a fortune or take a lot of time to decorate. With a little bit of creativity, your home will look like a million dollars in no time at all.
Step Inside Our Enchanting Christmas Home Tour 2022
My front door is open! So pour yourself a cup of coffee and nestle into your favorite cozy chair, tour time is about to begin for my Christmas Home Tour 2022.
It’s the first time I’m sharing a home tour on the blog so I’m super excited.
For this Christmas season, I came up with the theme was ‘Oh, Holy Night’. It’s my favorite Christmas song and I wondered if I could decorate my mantel with this in mind. I wanted to design the mantel by using sheet music, and my violin. I also wanted to add my winter pheasant into the mix.
Once I decided to decorate each room with simple green and cream decorations combined with velvet and gold ribbons it was time to bring my idea to life.
This is what I call my version of a woodland winter wonderland.
Create a focal point with Magnolia leaves and Sheet Music
This year, something extra special is in the air – it’s time to add a touch of festive magic around every corner!
On my mantel, I placed a simple garland of magnolia leaves, pinecones, and several green ornaments.
Next, I added my sheet music by placing the music on a wrought iron plate stand that gave the mantel height.
I used command hooks to attach chicken wire to the top of the mantel, which then allowed me to utilize the front of the mantle rather than just the top.
When using chicken wire on the front panel, your mantel increases the real estate decorating options.
After placing the command strips on the top flat surface and cascading in the front, I covered the mechanics by layering greenery over the top. Carefully place magnolia leaves into the chicken wire by tucking them in gently.
I’ve used the chicken wire solution previously. You can read more about it here.
Add Sparkle and Shine with Twinkle Lights & Ornaments
Here are ways to add sparkle and shine with twinkle lights and ornaments to your mantel:
- Drape twinkle lights along the edge of your mantel. You can use one string of lights or multiple strings to create a fuller effect. I love the glittering of light in the evening.
- Hang ornaments from the twinkle lights. Use a variety of ornaments in different shapes, sizes, and materials to create a visually interesting display. Here is where I put a vintage spin on my mantel by using vintage ornaments I’ve collected through the years.
- Place ornaments on the mantel itself. You can group them together in a centerpiece or scatter them evenly across the mantel.
- Fill vases or jars with twinkle lights and ornaments. Another option is to put a battery-operated string of lights under an antique glass cloche. This is a great way to add height and dimension to your mantel display.
- Use mirrored ornaments to reflect the light from the twinkle lights. This will create a dazzling effect.
- Add a strand of battery-operated twinkle lights to the back of your mantel. This will provide a soft glow and create a warm and inviting atmosphere.
Personalize with Sentimental Items
Personalizing my home is key for me. I want to welcome guests with the items and treasures I love and that are unique to my home. You can do the same thing in your home.
Here are five ways to add sentimental items to your Christmas mantel:
- Display family photos. Frame your favorite family photos and place them on your mantel. This is a great way to add a personal touch to your Christmas decor and to create a focal point for your mantel display.
- Hang handmade ornaments. In my mind, if your children or grandchildren have made handmade ornaments, hanging them on your mantel is priceless. I have several ornaments by sons made in elementary school that I hang on my breakfast room tree every year. These ornaments are sure to be cherished by your family for years to come.
- Use heirloom decorations. If you have any heirloom Christmas decorations, such as ornaments, stockings, or figurines, display them on your mantel. These items will add a touch of history and tradition to your Christmas decor.
- Add souvenirs from special family memories and special trips. If you have any souvenirs from special Christmas trips, such as ornaments, figurines, or artwork, display them on your mantel. These items will remind you of happy memories and will make your mantel display even more special.
- Display religious symbols. If your family has any religious symbols that are meaningful to you, such as a nativity scene, a menorah, or a crucifix, display them on your mantel. These symbols can add a spiritual touch to your Christmas decor and can help you celebrate the true meaning of the holiday season.
Decking the Halls with Holiday Magic
My Christmas tree is the centerpiece of my living room and holiday decorations. For a festive touch, I decorated it with a variety of green and cream ornaments, as well as some gold accents.
The green velvet poinsettias added another texture and dimension to my tree. They come in many colors.
I also added a few festive throw pillows and blankets to my sofa and chairs in shades of green, cream, and gold. This makes the space feel even more cozy and inviting.
Coffee Table & Ottoman Decor
Create a Cozy Seating Area with Pillows and Throws
It’s that time of year, when you may have more company than normal. One way to accommodate guests with seating is to use a large ottoman.
- To create a cozy seating area with pillows and throws, start by layering different textures and patterns.
- Place a large throw blanket on the sofa or armchairs, and then add a few smaller pillows in different shapes and sizes.
- You can also drape a throw blanket over the back of the sofa or armchair to add extra warmth and style.
Add a touch of Christmas with a Festive Tray
Adding an antique silver tray is the perfect way to elevate your ottoman. I’ve placed a vintage hurricane candleholder along with the same greenery and colors that I’ve used on my mantel and Christmas tree.
Mirroring the colors and textures throughout your home is the perfect way to make your room feel cohesive. Plus nothing says it’s Christmas time more than a fancy silver tray with either a display or cocktails served on it.
I’m so happy with how my living room turned out for Christmas! It’s the perfect place to relax and enjoy the holiday season with my loved ones.
Explore Our Festive Decorations and Cozy Seasonal Style
Dining Room Decorations
- Set the scene with a festive tablecloth and centerpiece
- Add Christmas spirit to your chairs by adding a small wreath to the back of your chair.
- Chairs may also be decorated with chair covers or sashes
- A great way to create a warm and inviting atmosphere is by using several candles grouped together or Christmas lights.
In my dining room, I added these beautiful greenery wreaths with silver touches.
Simply add several strands of velvet ribbon by using a small piece of wire to attach to the wreath.
The ribbon I used in the living room carried over into the dining room and the breakfast room.
To further carry over the green and cream color scheme, I added a few magnolia leaf stems to the dining room chandelier and topped it off with several strands of rough-edged velvet ribbon.
If you missed it, I shared my Christmas Home Tour – Breakfast Room & Kitchen this past week! Our breakfast room is my favorite room in our home. On any given day you can find me here, either cooking up a dessert for after dinner or catching up on emails.
The next stop is our breakfast room. Our breakfast room tree typically is a traditional tree with ornaments we’ve collected from travels or that my sons had made when young. This year I’ve matched it to our living room tree!
The breakfast room is the perfect spot each morning to have my tea. What makes it so special is the natural light that pours in through the large windows. This room is also the most asked-about room on social media.
If you are looking for sources to create a similar look, you can find them here.
The only thing that is missing now is some holiday treats!
Shop the Breakfast Room Look Here
Shop the Decorations Here:
Have you checked out my other social channels? Follow along so you don’t miss out on any of my tips, recipes, or stories! Join me on my other social channels for more! Pinterest, Instagram, and Facebook.
It’s no secret that creating an inviting atmosphere over the holidays can be challenging but also incredibly rewarding! With thoughtful touches throughout my living room like coordinating colors between my two Christmas trees and adding personal touches like my Oh Holy Night theme – I was able to create a great space perfect for celebrating this special season with loved ones!
Thanks for joining me on this Christmas Home Tour 2022: Simple Cream and Green Decor.
Happy Holidays Everyone!
Hey there, fellow foodie friends! I’m thrilled to share my latest kitchen adventure with you in my newest blog post: Easy Waffle Recipe Without Milk: Dairy-free Gluten Free. Picture this – golden, crispy waffles that are not only a delight for your taste buds but also a breeze to whip up in your kitchen.
Hey there, friends! As your friendly brand ambassador for this fantastic gas fireplace safety screen, let’s dive into some burning questions about a Gas Fireplace Safety Screen: the new mesh barrier for hot glass.
Have you wanted to create a room with a Black Accent Wall? Oh good! Today I’m sharing How to Create a Black Accent Wall in the Bedroom!
Happy Saturday, wonderful readers! As we gear up for the festive Christmas holiday, I wanted to take a moment to express my heartfelt gratitude to each one of you for joining me on this exciting journey at Hen and Horse Design. Your support and enthusiasm for all things home-related truly make this community at the Roost so special.
Let me spill the beans on a game-changer in my kitchen with this easy side dish, Savor the Flavor: Sauteed Brussels Sprout Leaves Recipe. Picture this, you can now make an easy recipe that turns Brussels sprouts into the most delicious side dish you’ve ever laid your taste buds on.
Hey there! So, have you wondered what’s the best way to create the perfect cheese board? Well, I think I’ve cracked the code. Picture this: a rustic wooden board as your canvas, adorned with an array of hard cheeses that cover a spectrum of strong flavors. But here’s the kicker – the main attraction is the honey pairing. Seriously, have you ever tried fresh figs with a drizzle of your favorite honey? It takes things to the next level. That’s why today I’m sharing 10 Perfect Charcuterie Board Honey and Cheese Pairings with you.